Code of Conduct (Parents and Players)
Wellesley Youth Hockey abides by the principles of the FAIR PLAY AND RESPECT CODE as established by Massachusetts Hockey. Each season we ask that members of the program reaffirm their commitment to the program's code of conduct.
Parent Code of Conduct
As a Parent of a Wellesley Youth Hockey player, I agree that I will...
- not force my child to participate in hockey. I will try to make it FUN!
- remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not mine.
- encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflict without resorting to hostility or violence.
- teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of the game.
- make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and hard.
- never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
- remember that children learn by example. I will applaud good plays by both my child’s team and their opponents.
- never question the official’s judgment or honesty in public. I recognize that officials are being developed in the same manner as players.
- support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from youth hockey games.
- respect and show appreciation for the volunteers who give their time to hockey for my child.
- never yell, taunt, threaten or inflict physical violence upon any player, coach, official or spectator at any youth hockey activity.
- not be critical of, or embarrass any player, including opposition players.
- leave the coaching to the coaching staff. I will encourage my child to play in a manner consistent with the team’s strategy or plans.
- communicate any and all concerns to the Team Manager, Coach, Coordinator or Association Representative.
- agree that school should take precedence over hockey.
- refrain from the use of abusive or vulgar language, racial, ethnic or gender-related slurs at any time at the rink or any youth hockey function.
- emphasize skill development and a serious approach to practices and explain how skill development will benefit my child.
- I will attempt to learn about the game of hockey (USA Hockey rules, equipment, levels, skills etc.)
- refrain from throwing objects of any kind on the ice or leaning over and pounding on the glass.
- insist that my child plays in a safe and healthy environment. I will support a sports environment that is free of alcohol, drugs or tobacco and I will refrain from their use at all youth sports events.
- I understand the benefits of participation in a team sport, the commitment, the discipline, and the social skills learned and acquired.
- support the whole team concept.
Player Code of Conduct
- I will play hockey because I want to, not because others or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules of hockey and in the “Spirit of the Game.”
- I will control my temper because I understand that fighting or “mouthing-off” can spoil the activity for everybody.
- I will respect my opponents and their fans.
- I will do my best to be a true team player. I will encourage good team play.
- I will remember that winning isn’t everything and that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
- I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
- I realize that school will take precedence over hockey.
- I will not use vulgar or profane language, racial, ethnic or gender-related slurs toward teammates, coaches, officials, opponents or spectators.
- I will refrain from banging my stick, trash-talking and hot-dogging during the course of a game.
- I will behave and hold myself accountable at all times when representing my team in all public places, especially when traveling during away games.
- I will respect my coach’s decisions regarding instructions, ice time, practice, etc.
- I will have FUN, but not waste valuable practice time and instruction time before and after games.
- I will respect others’ property and belongings and the facility in which I play. I will leave the locker room in orderly condition.
- I agree that alcohol, tobacco products and banned substances have NO PLACE in HOCKEY!!
- I agree not to endanger or create any safety hazards by throwing any objects haphazardly on or outside the playing surface or bench area.
- I agree that there is no place for violent or overly aggressive play in hockey, where the obvious intent is to injure or harm another player.
- I agree to do my best in all my endeavors on and off the ice and to conduct myself with class and dignity.